About LED Vapor Tight Fixtures
What are LED Vapor Tights?
LED Vapor Tights are linear LED luminaires that are typically mounted to interior walls and ceilings, although exterior applications are also possible.
Most LED Vapor Tights are completely sealed to protect from water and dust, although the amount of water resistance varies with each design and specific application. For a detailed explanation of how vapor tight dust and moisture resistance is rated, read the the content section immediately below this one.
LED Vapor Tight Applications
Applications of LED Vapor Tights include machine and wood shops, gymnasiums, hallways, auto garages, food-processing areas, or anywhere a fixture must be able to resist splashing, dust, minor impacts, or regular cleanings.
Revolution Lighting’s LED Vapor Tights offer a 50% energy savings over comparable fluorescent fixtures, while also delivering a a far superior quality of light.
Unlike the fluorescent fixtures they replace, Revolution Lighting’s LED Vapor Tights are virtually impervious to shock, vibration, and can even withstand multiple impacts. Since LED vapor tights are not made of glass, they don’t shatter, and there’s no mercury clean-up.
Ingress Protection (IP) Ratings of LED Vapor Tights
LED Vapor Tights are designed to resist the incursion (or ingress) of both particulate and moisture. The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) sets the standard for International Protection (IP), which classifies the degree of protection of a product against particulate and moisture. There are two aspects of the rating to understand. We’ll break down this example rating: IP-65
Here’s what the first number in an IP rating (“6” in the above example) means:
- References the fixture’s level of protection from particles, wires, dirt, or fingers
- Means the fixture is completely sealed from dust, dirt, wires, or other particulate
- Any LED Vapor Tight should have a “6” in the first digit of its IP rating
Here’s what the second number in an IP rating: (“5” in the above example) means:
- Denotes the level of resistance to water
- Numbers from “0” to “6” indicate resistance to spraying water
- Numbers from “7” to “8” indicate resistance to submersion
- “5” means that the vapor tight is resistant to wash-down from low- to medium-pressure water hoses from any direction.
Therefore, a rating of IP-65 means the fixture is completely sealed from dust, dirt, wires and other particulate, and is resistant to wash-down from low- to medium-pressure water hoses from any direction.